Saturday, February 16, 2013

I miss ship life. Or in other words; I just want to go home.

Did somebody say Ship life?

This list was posted by a ship friend of mine and I thought it worth sharing with all of you.

Now, ironically, these things listed below are often negative, but for me, they remind me of home. How I feel when I cross the gangway onto the ship is such a relief, even if vacation on land was fun. Even the little things that are annoying make me smile because I'm so happy these are the little things annoying me as opposed to the annoyances of permanent land life. Maybe someday I'll wist for land and soil beneath my feet, but for now, I wish only for the open water and everything you read below.

It's true what they say.

It doesn't feel like work when it's what you love to do!!

- Days of the week become countries
- Taking a bath is considered a luxury
- You have to be a contortionist to shave your legs
- When you talk about how to spend your "hours off" not "days off".
- You have to turn on the tv to see the weather outside
- Where you can get drunk for $5
- Hangovers can be blamed on seasickness
- Hours back determine when parties are
- You haven’t had 10 minutes alone since you walked onboard
- Arriving at a new country usually consists of finding the free wifi
- You haven’t known what day of the week it is for 6 months
- Being screamed at by a passenger condones chugging a beer on a bathroom break
- Being solely responsible for tens of thousands of dollars with no sweat
- Happy hour can be every hour.
- Working less than 10 hours is considered to be "an easy day".
- You know there will always be white rice for breakfast/lunch/dinner
- Partying with your bosses
- It’s been 4 days since you’ve stepped outside
- You’ve just spent a 13-hour day with the same people, so you go to dinner and happily spend the rest of the night with them
- Packing a variety of costumes for a contract is smart
- You can survive with 3 pairs of jeans for 6 months
- Seeing the captain at the gym is like seeing a movie star at a grocery.
- You smile even if you’re having a bad day
- When you’re in the real world you stop yourself from saying hello to random people walking past you
- Walking across the hallway and knocking replaces the need for a cellphone
- If you get a job on land you’ll feel naked without a name badge
- You’re so far from home but seem to be surrounded by your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment