Friday, January 18, 2013

"Sugar: The Bitter Truth"

Wow, this is a great, fabulous, extremely informative video.



As those who see me on a semi frequent basis know, I've given up sugar. I no longer cook with it or buy sugar enhanced foods. This video will give you an idea why.

Now if you're like me and you pull up the video, take a look at the time length and go, whoa hoooo, no way. I'm not watching a 90 minute video on this. Well, there is a shorter version done by a guy just for you. However, I encourage you to watch the long version. There are lots of graphs and charts to help explain everything being explained.

Here's the short version if it is what you'd rather watch. This guy has watched the longer video multiple times and made his own charts and graphs to help explain all the details in the video.



This video helps to debunk a lot of common myths. It's not just another theory. We have enough of those.

You'll learn new things, maybe many new things.

One of the things I learned is that calories are not all the same. It's not calorie in, calorie out. I kind of knew this, but lived based on the theory that if you work out more than you intake then you'll be good. Nope.

I also learned that HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) can actually be an aid to absorbing glucose faster into the body right after a heavy workout.

I learned how closely related HFCS is to ethanol. It has 8 out of 12 of the same effects on our body. That's a high percentage!!! In the chart below it uses the word chronic, meaning ingested frequently over time and not a one time occurrence.




Did you know that McDonald's only has 7 items on their menu without HFCS? Wow! Now, I don't eat there. Won't be starting. But I would suggest if you do eat there, you might consider stopping.

Another thing I learned is that eating a raw diet (which is kind of a fad right now) can nearly cure type 2 diabetes. This was something I took high note of since type 2 diabetes runs in my family, as in many others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is one other thing I will write to hopefully encourage you to watch the long video and not disregard my post as some other random research video that just negates what the last one proposed. And that is a short bio of the author and speaker in the video, Dr. Robert Lustig.

He has the credentials, the clinical and research experience to be an expert on how sugar damages our bodies. He's a professor of clinical pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology at the University of California, San Francisco, where he directs the Weight Assessment for Teen and Child Health Program. His specialty is neuroendocrinology, with a specific emphasis on the regulation of energy balance by the central nervous system. He's working with overweight and obese kids who either have type 2 diabetes or are on their way to getting it. As a neuroendocrinologist, he's an expert in the appetite and satiety hormones of ghrelin and leptin.

No comments:

Post a Comment