Monday, February 17, 2014

The countdown from Korea

The countdown has begun. My contract ends in one week and today certainly seemed to signify as such.

I awoke to pounding rain whipping sideways against the window pane. My heart sank. It'd been so nice and sunny the last several days. I was hoping it was a sign spring might be coming. But the rain washed all those hopes away.

Today's rain wasn't the kind of rain that makes you smile, makes you want to sing, makes you want to go twirling around in it, or stick your tongue out for a refreshing drink. This was the kind of rain that makes you want to bury your head under the covers and never come out from hiding.

Unfortunately, work demands my presence so I very reluctantly got dressed in warm clothes, put on my coat, wrapped my rain jacket around my book bag, put my billed hat on and headed outside. It certainly didn't help matters that the boots I purchased in November already have significant holes in the soles and back of the heels.



So when I arrived at work, my boots squished and squashed on the floor and when I took off my socks they dripped onto the floor too. When I finally was able to peel my pants off my legs were bright red from the freezing rain that had been attacking them through my pants for the previous half hour.

Work was work. I got splashed, I got scolded, etc. Then I walked back home in the blinding rain. Now my socks are hanging to dry, my boots are sitting in a puddle of water, my pants are hanging in the kitchen drying on the towel hooks, my coat is over one chair and my rain jacket over the other. I'm curled up under the covers in a rather awkward position trying to stay warm and cozy and comfortable yet type away on this entry.



There is officially only one week left in my contract. Only 28 more shows to perform. Korea has been fun but I honestly can't wait to leave. Not because I hate Korea but the grass under my feet has grown so tall that it's tickling my nose and making me sneeze!

There is much to be done in this week; and article to write for the newspaper, a couch surfer to host, a violin audition tape to record and edit, laundry to be done and bags to be packed, reservations to be made, travel research to be done, schedules to align and maybe, sleep to be had :)  I hope to stay so busy that time just flies right by and the next thing I know I'm on a plane headed north (more on this later).

Until next time when I'm composing an entry off the island of Jeju!

No comments:

Post a Comment