Sunday, February 2, 2014

Couchsurfing

I've been a member of couchsurfing.org for a number of years and the only thing I've really done is tour a traveler around LA in my car. It's not that I haven't wanted to participate more, but somehow things never came together for me even when I tried to surf or host.

Of course, that is until just recently. Since moving to Korea many things have changed on a regular basis, one being my housing. The last couple of months I've lived alone in an apartment I've rented so that I can practice my acoustic violin. I finally updated my couchsurfing profile from no couch to couch available and a few weeks later the requests started rolling into my inbox. The month of February is now booked as much as I can fill it and I had to start turning people down. My first couch surfers were a couple of German boys en route to Australia via Fiji and Asia.

One of the guys cooked me breakfast before work :)

Almost breakfast in bed. French toast banana sandwich complete with a fresh flower!!
They say it's all about the presentation.
I will say that this was the first time I've tried to eat with a knife and fork since I got here and I was all thumbs. It was pretty funny to watch I'm sure and I felt really clumsy trying to work the now seemingly awkward utensils in my hands. The experience just reassured me that the item(s) I want to bring home with me as my souvenir of time spent in Korea is a nice set of chopsticks!!

The last night my girlfriend skipped out to a club, so one of the guys did an Insanity workout with me (he had no idea what he was in for and told me he had much respect for me after attempting the workout-he didn't finish but of course I did)!

Cool guys, although since I had to work every day I didn't spend much time with them, but it was a great experience. The last night we went out for the famous Jeju black pork and they enjoyed themselves thoroughly I believe. We were all definitely stuffed by the end of the meal!



This coming month I'm really looking forward to the rest of the surfers coming. Hopefully it will be a great month of new friends, food, and lots of fun!!

And who knows, maybe in March, I'll be the couch surfer!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My second couch surfer was a wonderful chick from Thailand. We had a great time touring Jeju and hanging around the dinner table. She cooked me some super tasty curry. Two different dishes in fact and I'm so very very grateful she cooked a bit extra so I have leftovers! YUM

Photo

While we were sight seeing in Jeju we stopped for a late afternoon snack and I got to share some of my favorite local food with her, pajeon (바전). It is a Korean pancake with green onion and pieces of unknown mollusk. One of the foods I will truly miss when I leave Jeju!

Photo

I had so much fun sharing my home and time and have made a new friend :)

Looking forward again to my next surfer so stay tuned for more updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment