Saturday, August 4, 2012

Good Bye Austin....hello, Calvert?

So my fun time in Austin has come to an end. Every time I visit Austin it's the same, yet different. I am exhausted when I leave from the many activities and parties that seem to be continuous, but I love coming back every time. This particular trip was a new experience in many regards though.

First of all, I always stay with a particular friend, but this time I house sat instead. It was weird being in Austin, living all alone.

Second, I always mountain bike in Austin. I really enjoy the Greenbelt, but also like to take a turn on the Walnut Creek Trail every week if I can. Used to be out on my mountain bike for a few hours every day. But for whatever reason (my guess is because I just came from the west coast), I played sand volleyball nearly every day. Unfortunately for me, even if I'm better at volleyball than mountain biking (which I'm not sure that is true), if I lose, I still have to sit out and consequently not get much exercise in the interim. Still, this trip I managed to play only sand volleyball and miss mountain biking all together. It was much fun though, and most fortunate in the fact that I was able to make a couple new friends and know that next time I visit I will have an alternate activity if I'm too tired to conquer the trails.

After parties and more parties and more activities and even more sporting activities, I've taken all my belongings and continued up the road, although granted this time it was a very short trip. I'm house sitting out in the middle of the middle of nowhere. There is no grocery store in this town. Closest one is 10 miles away. It reminds me of my roots though. Where both my parents are from the towns are smaller or of the same size and since I visited frequently as a child I'm familiar with the lifestyle and can even come to terms with not having an all night store of some kind in close proximity. In a way it is very relaxing. I definitely appreciate this after my month of Austin frivolity.

The down side to this event (which also happens to be an upside), is that I have a month long job.....that starts at 9 in the morning. Now, that may not seem to early for most of you, but considering my regular sleep schedule is bed time: 3-5 a.m., rise: 9-11 a.m., then you can see the dilemma. I must rise every morning at 6:30 in order to feed the animals (of which there are several indoors and outdoors), feed myself, get ready, get lunch together, mid morning snack together, mid afternoon snack together (I eat frequently), and prepare anything thing else on the agenda. It's been quite the non adjustment period. After a month I will probably collapse from sheer exhaustion as my body will no doubt defy any attempts to reconcile itself to the "normal" schedule.

But I'm only one week into the new job, so we will see how it all turns out at the end of the month. Until then, expect no more updates as it's all I can do to stay awake for the one hour one way trip each way and successfully feed each animal the appropriate food, including myself.

To all, a good night.