Saturday, February 27, 2021

Creative Construction: Building Something New Out of Something Broken

 The good news is that my back is better today than yesterday. Yea! It's not good by any means, but it's good enough I don't need any little pills to be able to hobble around.

So I took full advantage of that and sat around all morning working on my computer haha!

No really, there was lots of writing and editing in the beginning and then I decided it was time to get as creative as possible and create an entry way "table". So I hunted and hunted through the few things that aren't cardboard boxes that I wasn't already utilizing to find something I could put together to make a table high enough to actually be able to use.

What I 'created' I'm extremely happy with for the pieces I had available to use. 

All that was left in the apartment was a very dirty squarish plastic flower pot that I had stored outside because it was so filthy and cracked in multiple places. I partnered that with a broken plastic crate I used to use in my car trunk for all my car tools but it's so broken it doesn't work for that anymore. So I had brought it inside and it has been holding books I'm not currently reading along with my tiny sewing kit. It has done well at that but I decided to see if I could get it to work better as a table topper. 

I succeeded! It is far from the prettiest table ever, but it is very useful and I now have a place to set things when I walk in the door, first, and second, I have a place to keep my hand sanitizer and garage door opener that I always want as close to the door as possible. It's a little precarious to put much on top that's heavy, but I have a way way better bookshelf now for my books. An Amazon envelope and sturdy piece of cardboard provided sufficient surfaces to be able to use it as such.

There is now only cardboard boxes left with which to 'build' whatever construction I fancy next. Luckily the apartment is quite small so there really isn't much space left for any 'building'!

I guess that means I can't procrastinate my writing by rationalizing my cleaning habits haha. But hey, I enjoyed my day and will continue to enjoy my entry table for months to come, I hope.

Now how pretty and ingenuous is that?


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's not too bad; balanced well on both sides with the weight of the books solidly on the edge of the flower pot instead of in the open middle part. And it is backed up against the couch for good measure! So far so good.

      Delete