Monday, November 4, 2013

Halloween in Korea

The title is kind of an anomaly since Koreans don't celebrate Halloween, but it's a great excuse to party and dress up so that's what we did. Seriously, when I said Halloween is coming and I need to get my costume, I was responded to with looks of confusion, questions about dates, and general confoundedness. Since I've been working internationally for the last four years and there have always been crazy Halloween parties and decorations everywhere and candy galore, it didn't occur to me that there are parts of the world where this holiday doesn't exist....literally. This is why it's good to travel the world. You learn things about people you'd never know otherwise, but best of all though, you learn about yourself. (There's a whole blog entry to write about that sometime).

Back to my Halloween in Korea story; me, one of our Korean bosses that was in town, and the European swimmers carved a pumpkin, made decorations (because you certainly can't buy them here), created themed food trays and threw a party!

In America we would go for a hay ride or maybe go to a haunted house or even just go to the mall and see all the crazy costumes competing for best prize.

And of course, what's Halloween without Trick-or-Treating! Whether you go with kids or go with adults or hand out the candy at your house, trick-or-treating is a staple of Halloween. This was the first year since I can remember that there was no candy (I can hear your whaling and screaming from here....it's ok....everything will be all right)!  @.@  BUT, lucky for me, I'm not a huge fan of the traditional Halloween candy, just the normal candy bars and we all know how good those are for your health and your waistline SO, I'm ok~~~~but only for one Halloween. The next one had better well have some Snickers Bars~!!~!!~!!

Here, I was the only one that went in "full" costume. Our boss had vampire teeth and drank some ketchup but otherwise, it was just pajamas. It's ok though. We had a good time! We played musical chairs (I came in second place) and limbo (I won first prize!) and just ate and drank and laughed.

Can't say it's the most memorable or the most fun or the craziest, or scariest or any adjective I'd associate with Halloween, but it was a good time and to share some of the good times from my Halloween in Korea,,,,I've included ..... PICTURES AND A VIDEO!

I even had real parrot feathers to make my costume! You can definitely see the Indian blood in my face structure...
Photo
Scary pumpkin face!!!

Howe! 
Photo
Banana ghosts and orange pumpkins :-O 


Photo
handmade spider web orbs
Photo
Traingle bread and chocolate ghosts. 
 

Worst costume I've ever donned, but a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do when there's nothing else a girl can do~~~

MUSICAL CHAIRS WITH A VAMPIRE AND AN INDIAN....

SOUNDS LIKE THAT COULD BE THE START TO A VERY SCCCCAAAARRRRYYYY STORY ......MWAH HAHAHAHAHA




No comments:

Post a Comment