Tuesday, March 9, 2021

The Life & Trials of Denny Crane

Today I'm just going to share a little bit of my adversities and fun with the cutest dog in the world, Denny Crane.

He's a smart cookie and I've trained him in many things. No, I've never trained him to sit as it seems ridiculous since he's only 2 inches off the floor anyway.

However, he does know to wait, to stay, to stay with momma, to go outside, to come along, to come here, to hush, to get down/aka leave me alone, to bring, to stop licking, etc.

He's very good at all of them, but he's the proverbial child. If he gets scolded, he's offended.

So he's always looking for ways to have the last word.

One of his least favorite commands is to hush. He's a very hard of hearing dog these days so all the commands have hand gestures that he follows. I'm actually not sure how really hard of hearing he is or how much he is just really good at pretending. Anyway, if he's barking excessively and I've offered to let him out, checked his water and his food bowl and he's fine, I'll tell him to hush. If he thinks that's going to happen he will purposely avert his head or go behind me so as to avoid "seeing" the command. Because, after all, if he can't see it he doesn't have to follow it. Obviously.

Well, today, among other days, he didn't act fast enough and he saw the finger rise to my lips. His ears drooped and his head dropped and he glanced away for a second before looking back again with hopes my finger would be removed. It was still there so he begrudgingly turned to leave. I turned around to continue what I was doing. That little devil walked as far as the bathroom door, turned around, barked once, and dashed into the bathroom to avoid seeing the command again and to let me know that he indeed got in the last word.

Another one of his least favorite commands is to stop licking. Denny Crane is a licker as they say. That tongue never stops. He really enjoys giving kisses so if he gets anywhere near skin, watch out because a kiss is coming your way!

Usually when I tell him to stop licking, he looks at me as if to say, "Really?". I stare him down and for maybe ten seconds he stops. Then he decides I didn't really mean it and continues. At this point he gets the soft bop on the nose that indicates I really did mean it. Now he's offended. How could I possibly not want kisses in excessive abundance? So while he was happily perched on my lap trying to give kisses, the command to stop licking is so horrible, he can't stand to be near me. If he has the option he will stalk off to the other end of the couch and purposefully curl up with his head facing away from me (which is really rare since he always tries to keep an eye on me). If he can't move away, he physically huffs to show his discontent with the command and then waits about 15 seconds or so before doing a 'gotcha' lick. It's not a kiss. It's not a full lick. It's just the tip of his tongue fast enough so he doesn't get caught in the act and he gets the last word. Then he turns around to sulk in the least cozy position possible.

One of his other not so favorite commands is to get down. He doesn't actually jump. But when I'm eating at the table he'll prop his legs up on the chair or couch to let me know he wants up there too. Sometimes I pick him up. Sometimes I want my space. He knows the hand cue for down and the poor boy looks like he's been grounded for a month when he sees it. His ears droop and his eyes get that big "puss in boots" size, and he slowly drags his feet down the chair or couch to emphasize his disapproval and utter misery of the situation. Then he waits for just a bit to make sure I don't change my mind before turning around and stalking off to his furthest bed possible. "Fine", he says. "If you don't want me around. I don't want to be around you either!"

What a character he is. Denny Crane is smart and fun to play with and show off to all the people. They are always impressed at how well he walks on a leash, how well behaved he is in public, and how he walks right into his doggy purse. They ooo and aaa over his adorable little face and his one-of-a-kind white mohawk. He prances around like a little horse and tilts his head, staring straight into cameras, and melting hearts far and wide.

He's a truly special dog for sure and he's got the personality to match!

Denny being the baby that he is: completely relaxed, feet curled in his 'cute' position.

Run Denny Run! This is probably my favorite toy. I do believe it's a squeaky hedgehog, but whatever it is, the squeaky is adorable lol!!

You can see the back of his little head as he's curled up sleeping in his purse.

What a tongue!!

There he is, charming the camera and showing off his white tuft mohawk.


2 comments:

  1. Bwaahaahaa! Yes, they understand and think and have very identifiable personalities! Denny Crane is adorable, your stories of him make me laugh 🤣🤣🤣.
    I’m so glad he’s with you. 🥰

    ReplyDelete